Happy Fourth of July! As I finish up a little office work and prepare to spend the holiday with friends + family, I knew it would be the perfect time for a Signature Drink Club post - and what would be more fun + appropriate than a Watermelon Cocktail, courtesy of Drink of the Week.
4th of July Watermelon Cocktail
- 7 1/2 pounds seedless watermelon, rind removed, fruit cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 teaspoons superfine sugar
- 8 ounces silver tequila
- 12 basil leaves
- 12 mint leaves
- 2.5 ounces Cointreau
- 6 cups ice
- Make watermelon ice cubes by putting 24 pieces of cubed watermelon on a baking sheet lined with wax paper.
- Freeze for one hour, covered.
- Take the rest of the watermelon plus the sugar and puree until smooth.
- Strain into a bowl.
- Put the tequila, basil and mint in a pitcher and muddle.
- Stir in Cointreau and watermelon puree.
- Pour mixture into cocktail shaker with ice and mix for each cocktail.
- Put watermelon ice cubes in a glass and pour cocktail in.
- Garnish with herb sprigs and enjoy!